Starting a Doll Collection? 5 Things I Wish I Knew
How To Start Collecting Dolls? Is Collector Stigma Real?
What should you collect? Should you stick to one brand? Do collectors need to complete an entire series? How much should you spend? And where are all these dolls eventually going to live?
After more than twenty years of collecting, I've learned that you don't need most of those answers when you begin.
Whether you're considering your first Barbie, rediscovering Bratz or My Scene, exploring Tonner and Rainbow High, or you've recently fallen down the Sonny Angel rabbit hole, here are five things I wish I'd known.
More than twenty years later, I can safely say I was asking some of the wrong questions.
Here are five things I genuinely wish I'd known when I started.
Prefer to watch the dolls and stories rather than read about them?
I share the full story, including size comparisons and photographs from my own 20+ year collecting journey, in this video : https://youtu.be/kiH0OvKybNQ
1. Which Dolls Should You Collect?
You don't need to know exactly which dolls you want to collect before you start. In fact, experimenting with different dolls may be the best way to discover your taste. You Don't Have to Know Which Dolls to Collect- YET!
It changed my collection because it taught me a simple lesson: you can't always predict what you'll love before experiencing it.
If you're new to collecting, experiment before you specialize. Second-hand and pre-loved dolls can be wonderful ways to explore different sizes, styles and brands before making expensive purchases.
Maybe you'll stay completely devoted to Barbie. Maybe you'll discover Bratz, Rainbow High or Tonner. Maybe a tiny Sonny Angel will unexpectedly steal your heart.
You don't have to label yourself first. Discover your taste by collecting.
I share the Barbie-to-Tonner comparison and the story behind that unexpected purchase in the video: https://youtu.be/kiH0OvKybNQ
2. Why I Don't Complete Every Doll Series
No, you don't need every doll in a series to be a “proper” collector. Completing a collection can be incredibly satisfying, but choosing only the dolls you genuinely love is just as valid. Some collectors love completing a series, and I understand why. A complete lineup can be incredibly satisfying.
Personally, though, I don't buy a doll simply because she belongs to a collection I already love.
Does she make my heart smile?
Collecting becomes complicated when scarcity and online excitement enter the picture. A release starts selling out, everyone seems to be posting it, and suddenly something you barely noticed yesterday feels essential.
That's when I try to separate wanting the doll from wanting the hype.
Popular doesn't automatically mean right for your collection. Rare doesn't automatically mean beautiful to you. And somebody else's must-have doesn't have to become yours.
3. How to Budget for Doll Collecting: Don't Just Collect — Select
Yes, I think having a budget makes doll collecting more enjoyable, not less. It helps you choose intentionally and leaves room for the dolls you genuinely love. Collecting can become expensive very quickly, which is why I eventually developed my own little mantra:
DON'T JUST COLLECT — SELECT.
For me, budgeting isn't about taking the fun out of collecting. It's about leaving room for the pieces I genuinely love.
Before buying, I try to consider whether the doll adds something meaningful to my collection and whether I'd still want her without the online buzz surrounding her.
Sometimes the best collecting decision is actually passing on something.
Then, when that unforgettable doll eventually appears, there's room for her — on the shelf and in the budget.
4. Can You Collect More Than One Type of Doll? Absolutely.
Yes. Your collection can include completely different kinds of dolls, and it doesn't have to follow one strict aesthetic. A collection doesn't need one perfectly consistent aesthetic.
Mine certainly doesn't.
Then there are my 21-inch Madame Alexander dolls, who apparently believe shelf measurements are merely suggestions.
Your taste five years from now may surprise you. That's not a collecting mistake — that's part of developing an eye of your own.
A collection isn't a contract 💫.
Let it change because you change.
5. How to Display Dolls of Different Sizes — and Why You Don't Need a Doll Room
No, you absolutely do not need a dedicated doll room to start collecting. One shelf, a cabinet, a desk or even a little corner can be enough, and your display can evolve as your life changes. Beautiful collection rooms online can create another kind of pressure: the feeling that you need the perfect display before you can become a “serious” collector.
You don't.
My dolls have lived with me through dorm rooms, apartments, shared workspaces, more than a year in storage during COVID, houses and small home-office corners. Only after more than twenty years of collecting do I finally have a dedicated room for them.
Looking through the photographs from all those different homes made me realize something rather lovely:
My dolls moved through life with me.
Start with the space you have.
One shelf, a cabinet, a desk or a little corner can be enough. Your life will change, your collection will change, and your displays can change with both.
In the video, I share photographs of how my collection actually travelled and changed over those twenty-plus years.
See My 20+ Year Collection Journey → https://youtu.be/kiH0OvKybNQ]
Is Doll Collecting Childish? Let's Talk About the Stigma
Yes, adult doll collectors can still face judgment, but the conversation around collecting is becoming much more visible and accepting. You don't need everyone to understand your hobby for it to be meaningful. This may be one of the most important things for a new adult collector to hear.
Yes, some people may judge you.
Adult doll collecting has long carried stereotypes about being childish or something people should “grow out of.” Some collectors have felt uncomfortable discussing their hobby at all.
[Read more about doll-collector stigma and changing collector culture https://www.mixedfeelings.earth/p/doll-collector-stigma-sonny-angels]
But the culture around collecting seems to be becoming much more visible. Look at Sonny Angels: adults openly unbox them, hunt for favorites, trade them, photograph them and share their collections online. Doll communities around Barbie, Bratz, Monster High and other collectibles are increasingly visible too.
Does everyone suddenly understand collecting?
Of course not.
But here's what twenty-plus years have taught me:
They don't have to.
Maybe dolls give you nostalgia. Maybe you're fascinated by fashion or craftsmanship. Maybe you enjoy photography, styling or research. Maybe collecting simply gives you a little happiness at the end of a long day.
Your collection doesn't need everybody else's approval.
It just needs to mean something to you.
Five Lessons, One Collecting Philosophy
If you're just beginning, here's what I'd leave you with:
- Explore before you specialize.
- Buy what makes your heart smile.
- Let your taste change.
- Give yourself a budget.
- Make space your way.
- And my personal favorite: Don't just collect — select.
If you're thinking about starting a collection, I'd love to know what you're wondering about.
And if you've been collecting for years, what do you wish you'd known at the beginning? Share your experience too — your advice might be exactly what a new collector needs to hear.
The video goes much deeper into my own journey, including the Tonner doll that changed my collecting direction, size comparisons and photographs of where my dolls have lived over more than twenty years.
WATCH: 5 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE I STARTED COLLECTING DOLLS https://youtu.be/kiH0OvKybNQ
The best collection isn't necessarily the biggest, rarest or most expensive.
It's the one that feels unmistakably yours 💖.






What a fascinating and thoughtful post! 20 years in collecting is such an inspiring journey, and I really appreciate that you shared your experience and raised these important topics.
ReplyDeleteThis resonates with me so much. I’ve been in the doll hobby for a few years. Barbie holds a special place in my heart. When I first saw a Made to Move Barbie, it completely changed my creative direction — from simple crafting to designing clothes and building my own doll kingdom, including my dream Barbie Looks collection!
The part about people’s judgment is so relatable and painful. In my circle, many still think dolls are only for kids. But over time, I’ve learned to stop explaining myself and simply enjoy my creativity 🙂
Hi old friend! ❤️ I’m so glad we met online and got to share our love for dolls. And yes, I completely agree - the judgment that this hobby is “childish” is so real. I’ve experienced it myself, but over time I’ve stopped feeling the need to explain or justify it.
DeleteThere’s honestly so much beauty in all those tiny details, and so many stories and fashion details I can see. And you know what? It’s not our problem if someone else can’t see or appreciate that beauty. We know what it means to us, and that’s what matters. 💕